Orthodontic appliances are built to withstand normal usage with minimal complications. In order to maintain the strength of your appliances, you must properly care for them during treatment.
Proper Braces Care
- If you must chew gum, only chew small or half pieces of sugar free gum.
- Avoid hard, chewy candy (i.e. caramels, Jolly Ranchers).
- When eating raw produce, cut into small bite size pieces and chew with back teeth.
- Surprisingly, hard or chewy pizza crust can be problematic, also cut into small pieces.
- Do not chew on ice cubes. If anything, you may chew on crushed or shaved ice.
- Avoid nuts, biscotti’s, and hard crusts in general.
- Break biting habits, as they will cause breakage (i.e. nail biting, pencil biting).
- Be careful not to hit brackets with toothbrush while brushing your teeth.
- If you eat popcorn, floss immediately after. Kernels can wedge between gums and cause infection.
- If you are about to eat something that you are unsure whether or not it may cause damage, be very cautious or just avoid eating it all together.
A broken appliance is a brand, archwire, or bracket that loosens or breaks off of the tooth surface. If you so happen to break an appliance and experience discomfort, please contact us at your earliest convenience to schedule the soonest repair appointment possible.